Virus Metadata Resource

Virus Metadata Repository: version July 20, 2021; MSL36

July 20, 2021 release of the Virus Metadata Repository (VMR) file containing updated data on new species ratified in March, 2021 and appearing in taxonomy release 2021, MSL36.

Anonymous
Parents Comment Children
  • SARS-CoV-2 is a positive sense RNA virus classified under the species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus. The full taxonomic path is

Riboviria > Orthornavirae > Pisuviricota > Pisoniviricetes > Nidovirales > Cornidovirineae > Coronaviridae > Orthocoronavirinae > Betacoronavirus > Sarbecovirus > Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus

• So, no authority wishes to state its Baltimore Type as a IV ? (general coronaviruses such as SARS1 and MERS).  The first science writers called COVID-19 an "RNA Virus like HIV."   Time-Life Revised "The Science of Epidemics" Winter 2020 explained this in the article about Dr. David Ho researching the novel coronavirus for treatments.  I would guess it  is as they  were saying, an RNA retrovirus.  That is, a Type VI in Baltimore.  The significance of this is the prognosis of Type VI : pessimistic since it is a long, drawn-out battle.   The authorities are  exhausting resources on COVID-19 Testing, primarily.  Secondarily, vaccines only effective short-term and impossible to keep up with.  Of course, I am not in working science or with an institution.  Retired citizen, molecular biology doctoral drop-out from UT-Austin in 1984 short of a PhD.  Is there scientist disagreement about Baltimore classification of the COVID-19?  Even worse, might it not be any one of the seven Types?  If it was created artificially, or a single-step genetic recombination among bat and pangolin viruses?  Does SARS CoV2 defy Baltimore Typology?   Just give me a Type, Roman Numeral, please, anyone?   

• SARS-CoV-2 is a coronavirus and has a positive-sense RNA genome encapsidated in the virion. The Baltimore classification for all coronaviruses, including SARS-CoV-2, is type IV. This has never been in doubt since its identfication in January, 2020.