Human Coronavirus-OC43

Hi Dear,

I can not find HCoV-OC43 in new ICTV taxonomy?

May I ask you help me?

Thanks a lot

Jila

Parents
  • Hi Jila,

In 2008 (please see ICTV codes: 2008.98V; 2008.100V; 2008.121V) in the Revision 2008.085-126V, HCoV-OC43 and other species were united as a single species called Betacoronavirus 1.

2008.98V

"To assign the following as species in the new genus (Betacoronavirus, in 2008.097V): Betacoronavirus 1 (new) (comprised of existing species BCoV, HCoV-OC43, ECoV, HECoV, PHEV and of canine respiratory coronavirus, CrCoV)".

2008.100V

"A new species, Betacoronavirus 1, is proposed to accommodate previously established Betacoronavirus species of humans, cattle, swine and horses (Human enteric coronavirus; Human coronavirus OC43; Bovine coronavirus; Porcine hemagglutinating encephalomyelitis virus; Equine coronavirus) and a newly recognized virus of dogs (canine respiratory coronavirus; Erles et al., 2007)".

2008.121V

To remove (abolish) the following taxa:

"Species Human enteric coronavirus; Human coronavirus OC43; Bovine coronavirus; Porcine hemagglutinating encephalomyelitis virus; Equine coronavirus (these are to be united in a new species Betacoronavirus 1 in a new genus Betacoronavirus)".

So, since 2009 HCoV-OC43 is part of the species Betacoronavirus 1.

In the current release, you can see the HCoV-OC43 as:

Riboviria > Nidovirales > Cornidovirineae > Coronaviridae > Orthocoronavirinae > Betacoronavirus > Embecovirus > Betacoronavirus 1

All the best,

Eduardo.

Reply Children
No Data