Viunavirus

Dear colleagues,

I have a question concerning genus Viunavirus (aka Vi1virus) (https://talk.ictvonline.org//taxonomy/p/taxonomy-history?taxnode_id=20180520). In 2017 (according to the document 2017.001B.A.v3.Ackermannviridae.zip), a new genus Cba120virus was separated from the genus Vi1virus and both viruses were placed in subfamily Cvivirinae. But it seems like moving of VVi1virus into Cvivirinae was made with a mistake and in some tables genus Vi1virus is mentioned twice: in subfamily Cvivirinae and also in family Myoviridae (according to the document 2018.007B.A.v4.rename137gen6sp.zip). And in ICTV Master Species List 2018b.v1 release (available here https://talk.ictvonline.org/files/master-species-listsVuinavirus is placed in the family Myoviridae, while in the *.doc-part of 2017.001B.A.v3.Ackermannviridae.zip this genus is considered as a member of Cvivirinae

I would be very please if you could clarify the situation with taxonomic position of this genus.

Sincerely,

Elizaveta Minina.

Parents
No Data
  • Elizaveta,

Thanks for your feedback. This looks like an error. Renaming of the genus Vi1virus to Viunavirus appeared twice in the proposal 2018.007B.A.v4.rename137gen6sp. Once in the (apparently) correct position in the family Ackermannviridae, and a second time in the family Myoviridae. It is the Myoviridae line that ended up taking precedent. I will inform the Subcommittee of the problem, and they should have this fixed in the next release.

Thanks,

Elliot

Data Secretary | International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses
    University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)
    BBRB 277 | 845 19th ST South | Birmingham, AL 35294-2170
Children
No Data